1) Scientific Director and Coordinator for the the research project on “Current Trends of Chinese Law towards Non-Trade Concerns such as Sustainable Development and the Protection of Environment, Public Health, Food Safety, Cultural, Social and Economic Rights, Labour Rights and the Reduction of Poverty from the Perspective of International Law and WTO Law”. This project has been approved and funded for 2 years 2011-2012 by the China-EU School of Law in Beijing - CESL.
Three conferences were organized: one at University of Turin, Department of law & the Center of Advanced Studies on Contemporary China (CASCC) in Turin held on November 23-24, 2011, one at Maastricht University Faculty of Law on January 14-15, 2012 and one at Tsinghua University School of Law on January 19-20, 2012. A book in three languages (English, Chinese and Italian) will be published. Supplementary funding was delivered by University of Milan Department of Public, Civil Procedure, International and European Law (DIRPPIE) to cover the costs of proofreading the manuscript. In a second stage, the project has been also supported by the National Employment Service of Republic of Hungary. Its funding has supported the participation of Hungarian scholars to the research project and the translation of the book in Hungarian.
The entire project will be implemented by the end of December 2012.
2) Research project in the 7°th Framework Programme of the European Commission. Marie Curie People, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme, Call identifier FP7-PEOPLE-IRSES-2010. Project title: “Evaluating Policies for Sustainable Energy Investments: Towards an Integrated Approach on National and International Stage” – EPSEI. Coordinator of the network: University of Turin. Paolo Davide Farah is Vice-coordinator of the network at University of Turin Faculty of Law and Responsible for the Area “Trade and Environment”. The network is composed by University of Turin, Faculty of Law, Italy (Coordinator); University of Lund – Department of Political Science, Lund – Sweden; Université de Provence, Center of Comparative Epistemology & Ergology (CEPERC), France, Tsinghua University, Center for Environmental, Natural Resources & Energy Law (THCEREL), Beijing, China; Tomsk State University, Department of Law, Russia; Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences (CRAES) in Beijing, China; Euro-.Mediterranean Center for Climate Change (CMCC), Venice, Italy; University of Eastern Piedmont, Faculty of Law, Italy. The project has been approved and funded by the EU commission in July 2010 for four year duration April 2011- April 2015
3) Research project in the 7°th Framework Programme of the European Commission, Marie Curie People, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme, Call identifier FP7-PEOPLE-IRSES-2012. Project title submitted: “Partnering Opportunities between Europe and China in the Renewable Energies and Environmental Industries” - POREEN. Paolo Davide Farah is Research Unit Coordinator at Istituto Universitario Studi Europei - University Institute of European Studies (IUSE) in Turin, Workpackage Leader on “The Legal Perspective on Europe-China Trade and Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) Relations” and Vicecoordinator for POREEN
The researchers involved in this WP intend to expand and deepen knowledge and understanding some critical legal topics related to EU-China trade and investment flows. Namely, the focus is on: 1) oil and gas offshore and renewable energy; 2) anti-dumping; 3) environmental and labor standards and corporate social responsibility (CSR).
The network of the project includes 9 academic institutions and research centers in Europe and China: University of Macerata (UniMC) in Italy is the coordinating institution. The partners are: Beijing Normal University (BNU) in China, Università Politecnica delle Marche (UPM) in Italy, Toulouse Business School (TBS) in France, Istituto Universitario Studi Europei (IUSE) in Italy, University of Ulster (UU) in United KIngdom, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), East China University of Political Science and Law (ECUPL) in China, Tongji University of Shanghai (TUS) in China. The project has been approved and funded by the EU commission in June 2011 for four year duration January 2013- December 2016
4) Research Project in the 7°th Framework Programme of the European Commission, Marie Curie People, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme, Call identifier FP7-PEOPLE-IRSES-2012. Project title submitted: “Liberalism In Between Europe And China” - LIBEAC - Assessing the Socio-Cultural and Politico-Legal Dimensions of the Differences in Terms of Interpretation and Enforcement of Economic, Social and Environmental Rights in Europe and China” coordinated by Aix-Marseille University, CEPERC. Paolo Davide Farah is Research Unit Coordinator at Istituto Universitario Studi Europei – University Institute of European Studies (IUSE), Turin.
Since their inception in 1998 in London to the most recent meeting in Brussels in October 2010, EU-China Summits demonstrate the importance of European and Chinese partnerships based on mutual understanding and joint efforts to overcome global problems ranging from ecological risks to economic crisis to social inequalities. Reflecting on the issues of EU-China relationships, LIBEAC aims at developing a new understanding of liberalism in its economic, political and social dimensions. It involves a comparative analysis of the cultural differences in its interpretation and of the political discrepancies in its enforcement, in particular with respect to economic, social and environmental rights in China and Europe in Modern times. It is a multidisciplinary project based on a comparative study of European and Chinese political philosophy and political economy, legal practice and philosophy of right.
The network includes 8 institutions in Europe, China and Japan:
Jean Yves Heurtebise at Aix-Marseilles University (AMU), Center for Comparative Ergology and Epistemology (CEPERC), France (coordinator), Résurgences (Resurgences), France, University Institute for European Studies (IUSE), Italy; University of Eastern Piedmont (UNIPMN), Department of Law, Italy; Charles University (ChU), Department of International Relations (DRI), Czech Republic; Tsinghua University (TH), a) Department of Philosophy (PD), b) School of Public Policy and Management (SPPM), c) Law School (LS), China; Peking University (PKU), a) School of Government (SG), b) Law School (LS), China; Hokkaido University (Hokudai), Department of Philosophy (PD), Japan.
The project has been approved and funded by the EU commission in June 2011 for four year duration January 2013- December 2016
5) Researcher for the sub-task entitled “The Role of the ICT in the Juridical Reforms at Transnational Level”. This research line is part of a framework project on “ICT4 LAW Converging on Law: Next Generation Services for Citizens, Enterprises, Public Administration and Policymakers” funded by the Regione Piemonte, Call for proposals “Converging Technologies 2007”. The project has been submitted by Università degli Studi di Torino, Department of Law (Coordinator) in network with Università degli Studi di Torino Departement of Informatics, Università degli Studi di Torino , Departement of Economical and Financial Sciences “G. Prato”, Università del Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro”, Departement for the Studies of the Entreprise and Territory, Università del Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro”, Department of Informatics, CERIS CNR and five private companies. The project will be implemented by December 2012.
6) Member of the Research group and Vice-Coordinator for the Research Unit at Università del Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro”, Departement for the Studies of the Entreprise and Territory for the Project 2012-2015 “GOING EAST. Enhancing Asian Research Cooperation in Higher Education for the Challenges of the Global Markets” funded by Fondazione Cariplo.
The activities partially funded are:
- research projects on a) Sustainable Energy and environmental protection; b) Food Safety and Consumers Protection; c) Corporate Social Responsibility;
- Summer Schools in China, India and Russia;
- Summer Schools in Italy
The network of institutions includes: University of Milan, Catholic University of Milan, University Insubria (Como), University of Pavia, University of Piemonte Orientale. The project will be implemented by December 2015.
7) Member of the research group at Université Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille III, CERIC, Aix-en-Provence for the research project 2010: “The Behaviour of the Emerging Countries in the Framework of the Governance of Sustainable Development : Conflict, Conservation or Reform?”, in consortium with Science Po Paris, IDDRI, Research Foundation for Sustainable Development and International Relations (Leader); University of Montepellier, MOISA – Markets, Organisations, Institutions and Operators’ Strategies Joint Research Laboratory; University of Grenoble, LEPII Laboratory for the Economy of the Production and for the International Integration; CEPN, Center for Economics of the University of Paris North; GIS-GEMDEV, Research Scientific Network on Globalisation and Development, Paris. This project has been funded by the French National and Governmental Agency for Research (Agence Nationale de la Recherché). The project has been implemented by April 2010.
8) Member of the research group at Science Po Paris/Tsinghua University/China-EU School of Law, China) for the research project 2009-2010 on “Investigating the Quality of Judicial Services: A Sino-European comparative perspective” funded by the China-EU School of Law, Beijing – Project financed by the European Commission (CONTRACT: ASIE/2007/146-573). The project has been implemented by the end of 2010.
9) Responsible and coordinator of the research group for the project 2007 on “The WTO and the Anti-dumping Law: European Union, China, India and Vietnam”, with a partnership between Università degli Studi di Milano, Bocconi University of Milan, Assolombarda (Italian Entrepreneurial Association), Agenzia per la Cina, Baker & McKenzie Law Firm, funded by Finlombarda and the European Social Fund. The project has been implemented by the end of 2009.
10 ) Member of the research group at Bocconi University, for the project COFIN 2006-2008 on “WTO as a Non Self Executing Treaty in the Internal Legal Order of WTO Member States”, funded by the Italian Ministry of Education and Research. The project has been implemented by the end of 2010.
11) Member of the research group at University of Milan for the project FIRST 2006-2007 on: “Intellectual Property Rights and International Law”, funded by the Italian Ministry of Education and Research
12) Responsible and Coordinator for the research project 2006 on “Trade and Cultural Relations between Europe and China” funded by Fondazione Robert Schuman, Paris.
<meta name=”robots” content=”noarchive”>